Winter Weather Generator Tips
1. Snow Buildup
Extreme snowfall can inhibit a generator from functioning properly. Keeping your generator clear of snow and ice buildup helps ensure your generator is there for you when you need it most.
2. Keep your battery and oil warm!
If you don’t have one already, a Cold Weather Kit adds security that your generator will start easily and operate efficiently when it’s below freezing outside – extreme cold could lead to a failure to start.
3. Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance!
We perform annual maintenance all year round; don’t let inclement weather hold you back from keeping up on your generator’s yearly maintenance. Learn More about our proactive annual maintenance programs.
4. Propane Planning
If your generator runs on propane, don’t forget to check your fuel level! During extended outages, call your propane supplier to refill the tank at half-empty.
5. Check your oil!
- If equipped, check to be sure the green light on the right side of your generator is on.
- Clear away any snow or leaves around the air intake on right side of generator
- If your generator is running, it must be shut off before you check the oil level. Please use the Generator Shutdown Procedure if your generator is running and you need to check the oil.
- Check oil level and add oil if needed. This is very important if your generator has been running continuously. Do not overfill!
If you don’t have an automatic standby generator yet and use a portable generator during an outage, click here to read up on best practices and safety tips.
If You Need Help With Your Generator – Call us at (877) 421-0203
As the largest-stocking Generac dealer in the Northeast, we offer 24/7 Emergency Service. We have live technicians available by phone and fully stocked vans, should the need arise. No matter what the situation, we have the ability to respond quickly to any generator issue you may have.
If You Don’t Yet Have a Generator – Request a Quote Here
We have all sizes of Generac, Kohler, and Cummins air-cooled generators in stock and provide turn-key, full service installations – with a focus on quality workmanship and true customer service. With over 6,000 installations completed, we bring this experience to your home.
If you call after 5:00PM EST, please select one of the following menu options:
- PRESS 1 for 24/7 Emergency Service, or to speak to a live technician
- Select your Region – PRESS 1 for Buffalo / PRESS 2 for Rochester-FLX-Southern Tier / PRESS 3 for Syracuse